Technical guides & Users manuals Forum Index

Technical guides & Users manuals
Contains all sorts of manuals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bienvenue - Welcome 
Welcome to the tellmewhy technical forum.
Yopu have an interesting guide, you have some knowledge to share ?
Here you can post it.

Your knowledge will be shared.
All together we know it better.
Windows XP - (Re)Assigning drive letters in ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Technical guides & Users manuals Forum Index -> Technical guides & Users manuals -> Windows TIPS & TRICKS
Previous topic :: Next topic  
tellmewhy
Administrateur

PostPosted: 25/12/2009 11:54:44    Post subject: Windows XP - (Re)Assigning drive letters in .... Reply with quote

Windows XP - (Re)Assigning drive letters in ....

I know its not a solution, but the drive letters depend on which order the drives are connected. So, the first drive to connect would be your physical drives inside the computer (C: and D: etc etc), then physical cd/dvd drives, then anything you plug in after that.

I have an external drive, in internal drive and DVDRW. It maps them E: C: and D:, then my daemon tools drive F: If i was to plug in my usb, it would become G: and if i plug my phone in, as mark said, it takes another drive, it would become H:

A drive and B drive are reserved for floppy drives.

If the drives are always connected to your computer, you should be able to assign them letters through the management console (as mark said) and they will always stay the same. I noticed once that when i plugged in my usb drive, it would take a drive letter that wasn't in order (so it would take G: insted of F: because it had been hooked up as G: before that) I'm not sure what was happening, but it kept the same drive letter always.

It is as simple as this (As long as it is Windows XP):

1. Click on the Windows Start Button.
  2. Click on Control Panel
  3. Click on Performance and maintinance
  4. Click on Administrative Tools
  5. Double Click on Click on Computer Managment
  6. Click on Disk Managment
  7. At the Bottom of that screen, right click on the drive that you want to assign a letter to, and select Change Drive Letter and Paths..
  8. Click on the Drive that you are assigning in the pop up dialog.
  9. Click Change
  10. In The drop down box that is shown, select the letter that you would like assigned, then Finaly,
  11. Click on okay.

You have just reassigned the drive letter for that drive..
Publicité

PostPosted: 25/12/2009 11:54:44    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
tellmewhy
Administrateur

PostPosted: 25/12/2009 12:00:02    Post subject: Windows XP - (Re)Assigning drive letters in .... Reply with quote

How to change, assign and remove drive letters on computers running Windows XP or Windows 2000
Note: you can’t change the drive letter of your OS

Run Disk Management, for this:

• Click Control Panel
  • Click Performance and Maintenance
  • click Administrative Tools
  • Computer Management
  • and in left panel click Disk Management
  • In right panel right click your drive and select “Change Drive Letter and Path”.
    Quote:
    To change: in dialog box click change and finally change the letters assigned to your drive.
    To add: click add and browse for drive path
    To remove: click remove, windows will display a warning message, click ok to continue.

Or

• right click on My Computer
  • select Manage
  • select Disk Management.
  • In right panel right click your drive and select “Change Drive Letter and Path”.
    Quote:
    To change: in dialog box click change and finally change the letters assigned to your drive.
    To add: click add and browse for drive path
    To remove: click remove, windows will display a warning message, click ok to continue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Technical guides & Users manuals Forum Index -> Technical guides & Users manuals -> Windows TIPS & TRICKS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Getting a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Cookies | Charte | Conditions générales d'utilisation